Sunday, April 3, 2011

Silver Sombreros and stupidly optimistic predictions

As the Giants mounted a singles hit parade yesterday, with a couple of Giants garnering their first hits of 2011 and Freddy Sanchez making me think he'll make a run at a batting title again this season, I developed a sense of urgency for Cody Ross's return.

Pat Burrell looks a bit feeble to this point.

Nothing wrong with looking bad in a few games -- it's going to happen to anyone who plays long enough -- but today is where I'm hoping the Giants' versatility kicks in, and we can see either Nate Schierholtz or Mark DeRosa in the outfield in place of Pat the Bat.

I also wish that Bruce Bochy didn't have to manage egos, because I would've rather have seen Madison Bumgarner start today, not Barry Zito. I would think that him outperforming Zito last season and being very good in the postseason might've gotten him that nod, but Zito's albatross of a contract likely has more to do with his slotting as the #4 starter than anything seen in Spring training.

Also, an extra couple of days could help with the neck stiffness Zito says he still has from his car accident last week.

Still, Zito was solid overall last year, so I'll cross my fingers for him to solidify more solidity today.

No comments:

Post a Comment