Thursday, May 19, 2011

Was that...offense?

*rubs eyes*

Alright, so here's the deal...I'm just going to call last night pivotal. Not for any reason to do with the standings, although the Giants did regain first place with their win.

I'm going to call it pivotal because of injuries -- two of them, Mark DeRosa and Aaron Rowand, will be especially interesting. I would much rather they not be injured seriously, but if indeed they are injured enough to miss time or even hit the DL, what the Giants do after that will be the interesting part.

First off, DeRosa is done. Time and time again last season, I heard many different things about how DeRosa was helping to provide clubhouse leadership and keep things loose, and considering the Giants won the World Series, that can't be disregarded. I also have heard the same things about him this year, too.

But while you can't put a price tag on such things, I'm going to go out on a limb and say those things aren't worth $12 million over two years. Nor is a sub .200 batting average w/ no power while mostly playing 3rd base -- a position which traditionally should provide some pop.

(and as I'm typing this, they just announced DeRosa will indeed hit the DL)

So, as tough as it is, the business side of baseball needs to kick in, here, and DeRosa needs to be waived. I tend to think that his wrist affected him even while he was playing, and the Giants just can't count on it letting him use his full ability at any point this season. This should mean more starts for Mike Fontenot -- still struggling some with the batting average, but he's still contributing plenty via walks and by hitting for extra bases when he does get a hit. I'm also more confident with Fontenot at SS rather than Miguel Tejada right now.

As far as Rowand...well, I've said enough negative things about him. Suffice it to say, though, that if he hits the DL, it'll should mean more playing time for Pat Burrell and, hopefully, Nate Schierholtz.

While injuries are the last thing I wish upon any player, the fact is that Schierholtz, Burrell, and Fontenot have more to contribute overall than DeRosa and Rowand, and this should help the team's chances for success going forward.

Other tings, mon:
  • Cody Ross looks comfortable at the plate, now, whereas in April he looked like he was pressing to help the team right away. His May slashline: .306/.405/.528
  • Hey, another two hit-day for Miggy -- three cheers for muscle memory
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to counting the days until Pablo Sandoval's return.

No comments:

Post a Comment