Thursday, May 5, 2011

One competitor fading early, with little hope on the horizon ...

I haven't really reported from the enemy front, but it's not looking like 2011 is going to be the year of the Dodgers. Anyone surprised, raise your hand.


(that's a cricket)

Consider:Long story short ... as players are hitting the DL, the horses aren't there to back them up. With several positions making Hardball Talk's list of worst offensive production by position (and we can't blame injuries for deficient performances from 1B, catcher ... really, the Dodgers have four positions producing less of an OPS than the Astros' pitchers?!?). Start thinking about 2012 and how much that group led by Magic Johnson, Steve Garvey or Mark Cuban will want to spend on a key free agent.

3 comments:

  1. I think the Dodgers can play well enough to stick around for a while -- IF the Rockies don't just play .620 ball and run away with the division. If they do, it's over for the Giants, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't see them hanging around. Their offense is Kemp, Ethier and a bunch of guys that are average at best. And sadly, Rafael Furcal, I think I'm talking to you, too. Their starting staff is nice, but I don't see an all-star in the bunch. I can say the same about their bullpen. I smell a .500 season. But McCourt might be on the outs, so we'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the thing -- I think a .500 record will result in them sticking around for a while. The Rockies are so streaky, both good and bad, that I don't think it's a stretch to say that 90 wins might win this division, which would mean that playing .500 ball would keep you in contention until about September.

    But, you know, not that I would mind if the Dodgers were to underperform to my wild guesstimation...

    ReplyDelete